Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pixe's Picks!!

Welcome to today's Pixe's Picks!! This week, I'm doing something a little different and featuring only one shop! Today's Pixe Pick is Spoonful of Chocolate! Please take a peek a peek at her shop, she has some really wonderful, and nostalgic items!!

White Oleander Handbag



Spoonful of chocolate has been crafting since she was about 3 years old... But started getting serious about making different things when she was about 15.

This is how she tells me she got started in her current crafting endeavor: Ever since I was a little girl I have had a creative streak in me. I think I may have gotten it from my parents. My mother was accepted to Art school when she was younger, but couldn't take up the offer because she had to help support her family that had just fled Czechoslovakia. Growing up, my father would always be doing something- from building our house, to making a mosaic porch table to building an authentic rock wine cellar/bar! I remember how I couldn't wait to get up every morning and go to Art class! I would spend hours drawing and coloring and cutting things out of construction paper. I got 2nd place in my High School art show for a Sculpture I had made. A few years ago I studied abroad in Switzerland- I had such an amazing experience that when I got back I spent my entire summer perfecting my Scrapbook. The past couple of years I have become very interested in different crafts. I bought a sewing machine and started making everyone retro style Apron sets that came with matching dish gloves, I bought a wood burner and made my father a sign for his wine cellar. My boyfriend has gotten many things from frames to a personalized pillow. I think I have an eye for color and matching. I manage to get attached to almost everything I make!

This is why Etsy was chosen as her selling platform: My father is about to loose his house. It's heartbreaking to me, because growing up as a first generation American I was able to see the difference between my families lifestyles and everyone else's. My dad was constantly doing something outside, you should see our house! I swear it's like a little Slovakia. (If you have seen "My big fat greek wedding" that is my family- except Slovak). He never asks for money- he built the house in 4 years with his own hands- built a pond, shed, cottage, out-house, wine cellar.. the list goes on. He is a very modest man, but happy that he had given his family a good life in Colorado. My mother's brother- Uncle Frank, a couple of years ago, asked for my father to co-sign a loan. My parents house was paid off so they had better credit. My Uncle would cry to my father every day- he wanted to start a Water and health business and needed the money. He was buying it from a good company that had been running well for over 25 years. So, long story short my father finally agreed, my Uncle ran the business down to the ground and stopped paying the loan. My parents are risking loosing everything they have ever worked for because they are now stuck with a $350,000 loan with a combined income of $27,000 a year. My uncle stopped paying in February of last year- and we haven't heard from him since October. So anyways- I was looking for a way to help my parents out- and thought- why don't I start selling my crafts?? So I started with my Chocolate Spoon business- but managed to get distracted, until now. I started to make my book handbags and am now really focused on making my shop bloom. Any profit I make is going straight to my parents. So I just "googled" craft stores- and found out that Etsy is actually the best site!

This is Spoonfulofchocolate's favorite item in her shop...The White Oleander Handbag. That's the pic shown above!!




Nancy Drew Clutch Wristlet Handbag


Pixe's Pick: I think this shop is just great, especially for those of us that are book lovers!! Not only does she create handbags from book covers, a very unique idea, I must say, she also creates those scrumptious chocolate covered spoons we all love to stir our coffee with! I have to say my favorite item is the Nancy Drew Wristlet ! Browsing through the shop had taken me on a trip down memory lane...remembering all the times as a child I spent in my local library searching for books to read, especially Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames! It was the highlight of the day when one of the older kids wanted to walk down to the library because Mom wasn't that comfortable letting me cross the busy street alone! Oh, those were the days!!!

I hope you've enjoyed reading about today's Pixe's Picks! Please give the featured shop some love! And, feel free to leave a comment! Artists love to hear what you have to say!!!
Wishing you all a wonderful, peaceful, and creative week!!

Mich

2 comments:

LillyShayStyle said...

What a creative artist, sorry to hear about the financial set back.
Best Wishes!

Anonymous said...

I'm a book girl, those are adorable. Great idea, thanks for sharing her work. :)